It’s no secret that I LOVE to sleep. It makes me happy. If anyone out there knows about or offers a paying sleep study job, please let me know. I could make millions and be seriously rich. I can sleep just about any where any time. And now that day light savings is over, I can really log in the zzz’s.
In fact, I have a waking up problem. I mean I do it, I eventually wake up but it is a struggle. Even if I have had 12 hours or more of sleep, waking up is cumbersome. When it comes to waking up, I have tried it all. Moving the alarm clock across the room. Setting an alarm and using snooze. Setting the alarm and not using snooze. Sleeping longer hours, not sleeping so long. Taking a mid afternoon nap. To make matters worse, the time change thing is a kill joy. ITs dark at like 5:30pm and I associate dark with pj and sleepy time. I like to wake up when its full blown light outside. (YAWN)
I’m from a long line of sleepers so I come by it honestly. A few years back my parents stayed at our house to baby sit while me and Mr. Chicken Fry were out of town. We had recently purchased a Temper Pedic foam topper. I casually asked my dad if he noticed the difference or liked the soft topper? He began to laugh really hard and finally told me that he was thinking of sleeping on a bed of nails because he doesn’t need anything to make his sleeping better or more comfortable. We obviously suffer with the same sleep syndrome.
If you would have told me 10 years ago that I would have a job that required actual work at 5:30 am I would have blown water thru my nose laughing at you! But lo and behold I do it. I worked in the corporate world for almost 10 years. I made it work by 8am every morning. People, 5:30am is a doozie. Being a mom/parent sort of prepares you for early mornings and ultimately your body adapts.
Anyone have the opposite problem?
For instance. Mr Chicken Fry is a mile a minute man. He has a brain that doesn’t shut off like mine does. So he only operates on about 5-6 hours a sleep a night. Unlike my mandatory 8 hours or I feel like hammered horse poop. Even with medication, he has trouble falling asleep. Must be all kinds of miserable.
Never feel ashamed or embarrassed if you delight in sleep. It’s an imperative piece of the health and wellness puzzle. It’s awesome for your body, your mind and your soul. And like My mother-in-love always says, “Sleep makes you pretty”. It can also improve your stress, your work and your over all health, Studies show that those who sleep an average of 7 to 8 hours a night are more productive. I don’t really have a ritualistic bed time routine, but I will tell you what do to and what not to do and what works for me.
WHAT NOT TO DO
- caffeine after 4pm. Caffeine can cause fiery reactions in some people. It doesn’t really do much for me that I notice but if it does work for you, cut it out in the late afternoon evening hours.
- don’t exercise right before bed time. Give yourself at least 2-3 hours to let your endorphins cool their jets.
- take a bath before bed time. A warm hot bath with lavender is ultra calming and can get you in a more subdued mood.
- have a glass of wine. More than one glass can actually have the opposite effect so be careful and moderate your alcohol intake.
- turn off the TV. When you finally get into bed try turning everything off, music and tv. If you like sound, try sound pillow a free app. Pick rain or ocean and see if this will help transcend your mind to the rhythmic sound.
- PRAY. I visualize sitting at his feet or Him cradling me like a baby and I pray silently. I often fall asleep praying and what better place to fall asleep in the hands of my saviour.
- If all else fails, talk to your doctor and discuss a treatment such as Tylenol PM or another drug to help you fall and stay asleep.