It’s party time with a whoopie tee doo and a dickery dock. The lights are strung, some presents are ordered and on their way and just maybe a few are wrapped under the tree.
But what’s more is that you’ve accepted the Christmas party invitation(s). Your festive sparkly bling and fancy shoes are sitting waiting ready to get their groove on.
But BELIEVE me, you will put some serious unnecessary pounds on during the spinning holidays if you ONLY prepare your wardrobe.
Party people are party prepared! SO Prepare to party.
Much of what I’m about to about to preach is OVERLY redundant. I’m a firm believer that repetitive positive affirmations and guidance over and over and over eventually produce a good habits. Have I not taught this before?
Party Prep FIT tips for mounds of merriment and Christmas cheer.
- EAT! Eating before a party sounds ridiculous but trust me it’s NOT. If you attending a holiday gathering, it’s a FINE idea to eat normal all day up to the event. In other words, don’t skip breakfast and lunch before a big party or holiday dinner. NOT EATING LEADS TO OVER EATING! What you don’t want, is to be famished when the food is served. The key is to be selective and mindful not ravenous. You might find yourself in a heavy appetizer situation. If you have not prepared for this kind of event you will literally starve if you didn’t eat before the party. Or you will make terrible forced food choices and gorge on the greasy cheesy hors d’oeuvres.
- VISIT. Like really connect with your friends and or your co-workers…or for that matter (gasp) strangers. Why not? It’s the holidays for Petes sake. What’s so wrong with being a Chatty Kathy? This is the time to celebrate, reconnect and enjoy quality “special” time with people. That means all human beings. Yes, I’m talking to you too Mr. or Mrs. Introvert. Think of it this way…chatting it up is way better than ogling over all the food and desserts. Chatting burns calories! The alternative is
- TASTE AWAY. If you are looking forward to Bob’s Steak and Chop House garlic butter mashed potatoes or Aunt Emma’s sweet potato pie, by all means taste it! Go ahead and eat a few bites. If you know the signature dessert is creme brûlée or Tiramisu by all means have a hefty spoonful. Learn to be satisfied with your taste or a few small bites! I promise that food doesn’t taste any better the more you eat.
- I’m from TEXAS and when I was a little girl, I use to hear older women say “I’m wearing my big dress or my elastic pants to the party.” This meant they would wear their stretchy loose-fitting outfit so they could pig out and not feel constricted. Have you ever? Girls, I want you to feel constricted if you eat too much! Wear something tight and form-fitting that makes you THINK about every singe morsel you put into your mouth! I bet you go for the veggie tray and grilled chicken sticks before the cheese or cookie tray! And that goes for you guys out there too. Heck, wear something that fits snug or just right. Your form fitting dress or jeans just might make you rethink the bad choice or over eating.
- STICK TO YOUR GUNS. Your heavy Aunt Ethel doesn’t necessarily mean any harm, but family and close friends WILL put pressure on you to let the guard down over holidays. Don’t feel guilted into an extra helping of grandmas gravy or the corn casserole souffl’e if you don’t really want it! Don’t let your pushy co-worker nudge you into the fried egg roll or fried calamari if you’re not feeling it! You already tasted the cream spinach and buttery mushrooms just politely say no thank you and keep passing the plate. No one should “shame you” into trying everything at the pot luck or the buffet line. Ultimately it’s only you who will be in the gym burning off all of those extra calories. Not your friend or cousin.
- SPIN DOCTOR – Reverse it. Be the positive reinforcement at the office party or family gathering. Encourage your friends to choose the lighter fare on the menu or suggest drinking a glass of water before moving to the desert table. They may roll their eyes and make a snide remark about your FIT physique and that’s A-OK. You work hard for that figure by gosh by golly! Keep your head in the game and your lifestyle will spill over to others. You are not purposely guilting them with your grilled chicken and vegetables!
- HYDRATE and don’t over calorate. I just made that up. What I mean is don’t waste your hard-earned weight loss and work in the gym by ruining it with sugary drinks or mixers. A vodka O.J, cranberry or grapefruit are loaded with sugar and empty calories. And don’t get me started on margaritas. A better bad choice would be a vodka soda with lime or a whiskey and water. Light beer is preferred and don’t forget good old iced tea and water are FREE99!
- SHAKE your groove thang! Don’t be shy to get on up on the dance floor and do a little dance! It burns calories, it’s fun and why not, it’s a holiday party! Everyone loves the dance floor (even the shy folk) so this is your chance to leverage the guilt and get them grooving. Look for the friend who is buzzed on champagne, wait for a great up beat song, grab their hand and off you go! Don’t waste that hot outfit and those flirty holiday shoes…dance the night away! Even if you’re attending a small house party suggest some fun festive music and initiate a small dance party of your own. Dance and they will join and dance with you!
- BTW have you see the cute holiday clothes from HI – SUGARPLUM? The Gibson Hi Sugarplum holiday collection is adorable with soft velvet tops and sequin joggers!
- Also if your still shopping, check out the Abercrombie and FITness Holiday GIFT GUIDE!
Enjoy but don’t DESTROY. HYDRATE and keep your head in the game. EAT so you don’t over eat. TASTE and move on. ENCOURAGE and by all means DANCE!
Click here for more info and party tips → Soon it will be Christmas Day
Love, always dance, don’t waste the chance!
All access to monthy recorded total body workouts. 3-4 a week instructor led instructional workouts for all FITness levels. Includes a meal plan.
5 thoughts on “Party Rules 101 ”
What about champagne…is that an acceptable party cocktail? 😉 xo